Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Craving for Popovers


An obsession of mine ever since I visited Tyler Florence’s Wayfare Tavern was their famous popovers. Perfectly baked, crispy yet soft in the inside; it was quite buttery too. It was worth the visit just for popovers.

To get over my obsession, I decided to bake popovers. Also, I figured this would be a good recipe to try out on my new muffin pan and also my husband.

popover servingI decided to use the recipe from AllRecipes.com that I’ve been used to, except that I used my usual soymilk instead of real milk (I rarely have real milk in my refrigerator). However, I was not sure how to make it more buttery, so just added butter in the pan (as I’ve read in one of the reviews from Allrecipes.com) and also brushed it with butter after baking.

It did not occur to me to look for Tyler’s recipe since hey… it was early in the morning. I was lucky enough to be able to read a recipe.

I did remember the tip from my original pop-over post: "Hot pan, warm batter!". Not bad for 7 am.

Here’s my recipe (for this week) at least. I am sure that there will be some tweaking… and more baking!

Simple Popovers
Makes 9-10 muffin sized popovers
 
Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup soy milk (I used Soy Dream)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp of butter (plus 1 more Tbsp more for brushing, if desired)

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Divide 1 Tbsp of butter evenly in the pan. Place muffin pan in the oven to preheat. Grease the muffin cups with the melted butter.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs slightly.
  4. Microwave milk for about 2 minutes to warm it. Beat in flour, milk and salt until just smooth; being careful not to overbeat (The batter will be thin).
  5. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full.
  6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes more. Important: Do not peek. Immediately remove from cups and serve piping hot. Brush with melted butter, if desired.

Verdict

popovers in a panThis recipe was pretty good. Even though this was not Wayfare Tavern’s, my husband enjoyed it and had two for breakfast and another two for dinner with his stew at dinner. With my picky eater, I consider that a success!

With this new pan, I may need to play with time a little bit. I’d like a darker golden brown look to it. With the muffin pan, I may need to increase the temp a bit to 425 degrees.

…and I got to get a pop-over pan!

…and try Tyler Florence’s recipe.

But first, I got to find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment