Italian "Water" Cake with Orange Juice
Based on Italian Water Cake no eggs, no milk, no butter
- 12 oz orange juice (about a small container)
- 2 ½ cups Italian type 00 flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup + 1 TBSP white sugar
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift the flours, sugar, baking powder together into a large bowl. Sift, sift, sift – As my friend Jen said, one can never sift too much.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil and orange juice and mix well. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the water and oil and mix it all.
- When the oven is hot, pour the mixture into a greased cake pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Note: Test the cake with a toothpick in the center before removing it from the oven.
- If you like, you can dust the cake with powdered sugar or top it with yogurt and jam.
It does taste very good. It's not light like an angel food cake, but it's delicious. I am now thinking of a coffee-flavored cake, but I'm thinking that it would technically require milk - so its a work in progress.