Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Popovers!

My husband cleaned our oven over the weekend, and I am dying to use it. Yesterday morning, I was in the mood for pop-overs and decided that it should be my first project with the clean oven.

I started out with the popover recipe in AllRecipes.com. I really did not want to use normal milk because I am watching my dairy intake, so I thought I would try a low calcium soy milk. I used Classic Soy Dream, which we always have in the refrigerator. Since I am starting to drink Almond Milk, I thought I would try baking it with Silk Almond Milk, but since that particular brand of soy milk had lower calcium, I thought I would try that for today. Maybe Almond milk next time.

I also do not have a popover pan (yet), so I had to use my muffin pan. I think this will work out nicely.
Finished pop-overs
Finished Product: Warm Popovers

I remembered seeing popovers made in the Food Network, most likely "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" with Guy Fieri. I looked for the tips from that show. I wrote "Hot Pan, Warm Batter". I also wrote "definitely use a popover pan," but it is too late for that.

I also found that I did not have cooking spray, which I usually use when baking. As always, in my kitchen, we need to improvise again, and use melted butter. Should still do the trick, right?

Popovers with Marmalade and Peanut Butter
Yummy with Marmalade and PB!
As I prepared the batter, I warmed the oven and popped the pan in with solid butter cubes. I figured that the oven will melt it for me. After a few minutes, I removed the pan and spread the melted butter on the sides, and popped it back in the oven. This may be a mistake, since the butter did brown a bit once the batter was ready.

The popovers came out good. Unlike my first attempt where I used rice milk, these popped beautifully. It looked a bit too brown, but they tasted great and not burnt at all. I think for next time, I may either reduce the cooking time, cooking temp, or maybe both?

My husband also loved the result. Being a self-proclaimed peanut butter-aholic, he filled his with peanut butter, while I filled mine with orange marmalade. That was so good, we even had one that was PB&J. Later in the day, I tried a savory version with cream cheese - it was equally good.

'Looking forward to the next version.

No comments:

Post a Comment