Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Mad about minis: Low Fat Chocolate Banana Nut Muffin for One


Banana Chocolate Muffin
Most of my single-serving or mini recipes have been really decadent stuff: lava cake, brownies, coffee cake. This one however, was inspired by a need. I wanted a muffin, but the car was in the shop and I did not want to walk to the nearest bakery (about a 20 minute walk, round-trip). I had time and ingredients on hand, so I thought I’d google and see if I can satisfy my craving.

I found the Blueberry muffin recipe from Chocolate-covered Katie and started with that. It was summer and I had blueberries handy for my cereal. It was perfect… I did later tweak it to add some texture and my current obsession with oats.

Below is what I have so far. Sometimes, I have experimented with different flours, so I’ve tried different combinations (almond, spelt, coconut). The combination below is my most basic one, since these are usually in my pantry. It also simplifies my recipe… for those mornings when I really need coffee.


Low Fat Chocolate Banana Nut Muffin for One
Makes one muffin

Ingredients 
  • 3 tsp of rolled oats
  • 4 tsp of whole-wheat flour
  • 2 tsp of all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp of brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 4 t of mashed banana (original recipe called for 1T oil - about 2 inches of banana)
  • 4 tsp milk of choice (Use less if using liquid sweetener.)
  • 2 tsp of walnuts (optional)
  • 2 tsp of chocolate chips (optional, but why not!!!)

Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 330 degrees.
  2. Mix first six (dry) ingredients in a ramekin, then add wet.
  3. Mix until combined (don’t over mix - but make sure its mixed thoroughly). 
  4. Bake for 15 minutes or so. (20 minutes in my toaster oven). Baking time will vary, depending on the flour and oil/applesauce you use.) If this is too long, you can also put this in the microwave for about 90 seconds or so. Remember, microwave times vary.

Verdict

Peanut Butter Swirl Muffin
Variation: Peanut Butter Swirl Muffin
It has been a staple particularly if I haven’t baked a batch of muffins over the weekend (or am tired of that batch). I’ve substituted applesauce instead of bananas, and that works just fine.

I also use this as a minimal clean-up recipe: that is why I just mix and eat this off the ramekin. I’ve also got it down so I only use my 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp measuring spoon.

The problem with this is that this can be so good that you wish you baked a big batch of it… or at least two.

No comments:

Post a Comment