Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Mad about Minis: Coffee Cake for One



coffee cake in a panThe trip to Wayfare Tavern inspired me to make coffee cake. I have not made an entire coffee cake before, and looking at the recipes on the internet, I think I am a bit hesitant to make something with that much butter and eggs. Don’t get me wrong… I love coffee cake. Once a week, I go on a quick coffee cake run for breakfast. I just know that if I bake a huge batch, I will probably gain 10 pounds in one week.

That said, I think I can commit to a mini-coffee cake. Besides, Wayfare Tavern served mini coffee cakes with our bill. It is just appropriate to make a small one.

I found a recipe for coffee cake in a mug from Chocolate-covered Katie. I think this will just do the job… to start. I did end up doubling the streusel because the first time I made it, it was not quite enough. I also did not put streusel in the middle of the batter, since there was not enough for the top in the first place.

I did use applesauce on my second attempt to cut down on fat on the streusel. I ended up using real sugar though, since I am not a big fan of sugar-alternatives (If you are diabetic or watching your carbs, feel free to substitute).

Here’s what I ended up with. I hope you enjoy and tell me what you think.


Coffee Cake for One

Ingredients:

For the cake:

  • 3 TBSP of Spelt Flour (You can use 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 Tbsp whole-wheat flour.)
  • 1 TBSP sugar (or 1 stevia packet or 1/2 tsp pure) 
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 TBSP plus 2 tsp water
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp walnuts (optional)

For the streusel (optional):  
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp applesauce
  • tiny pinch salt
  • about 1 tsp of walnuts

Directions:

  1. If using an oven, preheat to 330 F.
  2. Combine batter dry ingredients and mix well.
  3. Add wet and mix until just mixed. In a separate bowl, combine all streusel ingredients.
  4. Fill a greased ramekin with the batter.
  5. Sprinkle on the streusel on top of the batter.
  6. Cook 20-25 minutes in the oven (Alternatively, you can microwave it for around one minute in the microwave. Remember microwave times vary.)
 
Verdict

coffee cake servingThis is a great start. It tastes just like store-bought coffee cake, but maybe slightly denser than store-bought coffee cake, but probably a bit healthier. I may need to experiment with using less sugar and perhaps using applesauce instead of butter.

I may also need a new toaster oven. Things just take way too long to bake in this one.

Maybe after I get a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment