The trip to Wayfare Tavern inspired me to make coffee cake. I have not made an entire coffee cake before, and looking at the recipes on the internet, I think I am a bit hesitant to make something with that much butter and eggs. Don’t get me wrong… I love coffee cake. Once a week, I go on a quick coffee cake run for breakfast. I just know that if I bake a huge batch, I will probably gain 10 pounds in one week.
That said, I think I can commit to a mini-coffee cake. Besides, Wayfare Tavern served mini coffee cakes with our bill. It is just appropriate to make a small one.
I found a recipe for coffee cake in a mug from Chocolate-covered Katie. I think this will just do the job… to start. I did end up doubling the streusel because the first time I made it, it was not quite enough. I also did not put streusel in the middle of the batter, since there was not enough for the top in the first place.
I did use applesauce on my second attempt to cut down on fat on the streusel. I ended up using real sugar though, since I am not a big fan of sugar-alternatives (If you are diabetic or watching your carbs, feel free to substitute).
Here’s what I ended up with. I hope you enjoy and tell me what you think.
Coffee Cake for One
For the cake:
- 3 TBSP of Spelt Flour (You can use 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 Tbsp whole-wheat flour.)
- 1 TBSP sugar (or 1 stevia packet or 1/2 tsp pure)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBSP plus 2 tsp water
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp walnuts (optional)
For the streusel (optional):
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp applesauce
- tiny pinch salt
- about 1 tsp of walnuts
- If using an oven, preheat to 330 F.
- Combine batter dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add wet and mix until just mixed. In a separate bowl, combine all streusel ingredients.
- Fill a greased ramekin with the batter.
- Sprinkle on the streusel on top of the batter.
- Cook 20-25 minutes in the oven (Alternatively, you can microwave it for around one minute in the microwave. Remember microwave times vary.)
This is a great start. It tastes just like store-bought coffee cake, but maybe slightly denser than store-bought coffee cake, but probably a bit healthier. I may need to experiment with using less sugar and perhaps using applesauce instead of butter.
I may also need a new toaster oven. Things just take way too long to bake in this one.
Maybe after I get a food processor.