Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Mad About Minis: Polenta Cookies for Two


When we went to Pizza Antica, the accompaniment to the chocolate budino was a polenta cookie. It was the first time that I enjoyed a polenta cookie, so I was really curious. It was delicious and indeed tasted like polenta but in a cookie. Ideas started to come… which can be a good (or bad) thing. Nonetheless, that experience inspired a second dessert or midnight snack.

I researched this recipe by doing my usual Maddy-thing. What is a Polenta Cookie? Is it really made of polenta? Can I Google a recipe? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.... (oh wait, wrong question). Can I make a small batch and see if the husband enjoys it? 

I found an Italian Polenta cookie recipe from Martha Stewart, and thought one cannot go wrong with Martha.  I used the ingredients as a base, but combined some of my single serve recipe proportions (like my single-serve chocolate chip cookie) for reference.

My original recipe was admittedly for a single cookie. However, after making it the first time, I decided to make cookies for two. Reserving it for a “photo shoot”, the cookie mysteriously disappeared and I found my husband was quite happy. I think I can put two-and-two together. Nevertheless, that answers the question of whether my husband would enjoy it.

Here’s what I ended up with. Let me know what you think... and we can tweak it together.


Mad Gourmet’s Polenta Cookies for Two
Based on Martha Stewart’s Italian Polenta Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 8 tsp of AP Flour
  • 4 tsp cornmeal (I used medium grind for texture)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 tsp butter
  • 4 tsp of white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp of lemon zest/juice
  • 3 tsp of egg whites
  • Drop or two of vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together dry ingredients.
  3. Combine wet ingredients to dry. Mix until combined. (Sometimes, I even obsess and combine them before adding – depending on my mood to clean one more dish)
  4. Split into two cookies and put on a greased baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
  6. Cool for at least 5 minutes.
  7. Enjoy!


Verdict

Obviously, my husband enjoyed this cookie and I loved it too. It’s a great break from our usual chocolate chip or sugar cookies. The hint of lemon is perfect with a cup of tea or a chocolate budino.

Most importantly, it was close to what I had in Pizza Antica.



No comments:

Post a Comment