Pages

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Mad About Minis: Single-serve Chocolate Chip Cookie


I had to work an all-nighter this week for a software deployment. You see that’s my day job: I used to be a coder. Now, I do not code anymore, but still stayed in the field and late night deployments are usually par for the course. Now, I usually just keep my fingers crossed and wait for testing.

What that has got to do with cooking.

Nothing, but baking is a different story.

In the middle of the evening, I had a craving for a chocolate chip cookie, but did not have any on hand (I should have been more prepared). Since all the stores are closed by this time and I had a bit of time before testing, I decided to make one.

I baked this cookie before (the last time I had a late night cookie craving), and it hit the spot. I think I ran into this recipe in The Instructables via a Google search, and it certainly was a great starter recipe. 

It certainly met my criteria: It's an actual cookie, not a mug cookie; chocolate chip; and lastly, single-serve. Since it is already summer, I do not want to warm up my big oven, so I just used my toaster oven.

I also did some tweaks that I found in an article in InStyle Magazine (Yes, the fashion magazine) and some from my own. I changed the mix-ins to be a combination of chocolate chips, nuts, and toffee, since I love a nutty chocolate chip. I was satisfied with the results. I hope you will be too.


Mad Gourmet’s Single-Serve Chocolate Chip Cookie

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp Whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Rolled oats (not quick cooking)
  • 1 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 Tbsp Water
  • 2 tsp Sugar
  • 2 tsp Brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp Vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp of mix-ins (chocolate chips, nuts, toffee - whatever you want)


Directions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Melt butter.
  3. Dissolve sugars in butter.
  4. Add vanilla and water to butter-sugar mixture.
  5. Combine flour, oats, salt and baking powder. Mix.
  6. Combine wet ingredients to dry. Mix until combined.
  7. Add your mix-ins.
  8. Form cookies and bake. You can make one large cookie or two smaller ones. Bake on parchment paper or a greased baking pan (The latter is my preferred method – ends up in a crunchier cookie) 
  9. Bake for about 13-15 minutes (Temparatures in toaster ovens vary, so just check after about 13 minutes).
  10. Cool for about 5 minutes before enjoying. Serve with milk (or almond milk).


Note: This is great for Saturday night binge watching too. You can binge on the shows, but not on the cookies. Actually, I may make one more batch tonight.  It's also good to share with your significant other... or not.

My next mission - make chocolate cookies. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment