Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Mad About Minis: Single-serve "Frosted" Vanilla Cupcake ... with sprinkles



Vanilla cupcake with sprinkles

I’ve been in a cupcake mode lately. We’ve been out and about in our Discovery Weekends and been encountering cupcake shops everywhere. Thank goodness for mini cupcakes; otherwise, I’d gain ten pounds.

In an effort to have a healthier cupcake and just limit myself to one, I looked for a single serving option. I found Shape Magazine’s online article on Delectable Deserts for One, and the vanilla cupcake seems to be a good start.

The advantage of this recipe is you probably have all the ingredients handy. The one thing that I usually do not keep is applesauce, but if I just made a batch of applesauce muffins, I am sure to have some left. I also used less butter and compensated with more applesauce. I may continue to reduce the ratio.

I am also used to baking single-serve muffins (see my low-fat chocolate banana muffin), so cupcakes should not be a huge transition. However, I did read once that the difference between a cupcake and a muffin: a muffin goes "Thud" when thrown at the floor. I take this as a challenge to get a cake like consistency to the cupcake.

Also, for these mini or single-serve recipes, use your toaster oven or the microwave. I am not that big on microwaved cakes, but if you don't have a toaster oven, use your nuker. It takes too much energy to heat up the big oven for this.


Single-serve "Frosted" Vanilla Cupcakes
Serves 1

Ingredients
  • 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
  • 1 TBSP + 2 tsp unsweetened applesauce 
  • 1 TBSP egg whites
  • 1 TBSP skim milk (I used unsweetened almond milk) 
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1 TBSP whipped cream or prepared frosting (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon sprinkles (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat toaster oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with one liner.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together applesauce and sugar until combined. Stir in butter, vanilla, and milk.
  3. Add flour and baking powder and mix everything together well.
  4. Spoon batter into cupcake liner and bake for 27 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
  5. Frost and add sprinkles, if desired.
  
Verdict

Cupcake in Ramekin
Baked cupcake in ramekin...Nothing wrong eating it here.
Making this cupcake is so easy. It also spreads that yummy baking aroma all over the kitchen that drives my husband nuts. We ended up sharing the cupcake.

My husband loved this cupcake. It does have a very vanilla flavor. I am hoping that baking it in the toaster oven saved energy compared to turning on your big oven, but it did take a long time. Think of it is as contemplative time – to see if you really want to eat the entire cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment