Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Mad About Minis: Mini Pumpkin Pie


Mini Pumpkin Pie

I can’t let pumpkin season pass by without attempting to make a mini-pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie, but usually we just get a small pie (about 6 inches in diameter) and it lasts us about 2 days. Pumpkin pie will definitely be a great candidate for a mini.

Plus, since its National Pie Week this week, I thought it would be appropriate to blog about pie.

A mini pie, of course.

Of course, I never made a pie before. I just ate ‘em.  And a lot of them.

Wait, does pizza count?


My first challenge is the filling. I have never made pumpkin pie before, so I really am not sure what is in it. I researched recipes, including single serve ones. I found that lot of them are fairly similar in ingredients and proportion, so the recipes were relatively easy to combine. In my first attempt, I think I used too much filling for my 3 inch ramekin (oh, what a dilemma). I adjusted, and my second attempt had a better proportion.

The next challenge is the crust. There was no single-serve recipe for crust, so finding an adequate crust is the challenge. I first considered using an Oreo crust, but I don’t think that chocolate and pumpkin is a good combination. I also tried a vanilla wafer and butter crust, but that hardened in the baking process.

I finally settled on a cinnamon graham cracker crust. I did not add that much to it, just a little butter for moisture and a tiny tiny pinch of salt. I think this is the best option for this pie; it just turned out a bit crumbly. I was hoping that it would somewhat hold.

Here’s what I have. I think it’s great.  It's not too sweet (since I try not too put too much sugar, even agave nectar). I am also a bit conservative on the salt. This was just right for me.

It may still use some improvement, especially around the crust. I would love to hear what you think.


Mad Gourmet’s Mini Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients

Filling

  • 2 Tbsp of pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp of flour
  • 1.5 Tbsp of milk  (4 ½ tsp)
  • 1 1/2 tsp (1/2 T) of sugar/maple syrup/agave
  • Generous pinch (about 1/16 tsp) of pumpkin spice
  • Generous pinch (about 1/16 tsp) of cinnamon
  • Tiny pinch of nutmeg
  • Tiny pinch of salt
  • whipped cream (optional, but why not?)

Crust

  • Cinnamon graham crackers, crumbled
  • 1 1/2 tsp of butter
  • Pinch of salt

Instructions 
  1. In your ramekin, combine all pie ingredients well.
  2. Microwave for 30 seconds on medium high. Stir.
  3. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes until sides firm up.
  4. Put in mini pie in the refrigerator to firm up for at least an hour (Think of this as contemplation time).
  5. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment