Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Peanut Butter + Chocolate + Bananas = Healthy Peanut Butter Brownies = Yum!

Peanut Butter Brownies - side viewTime for another Brownie experiment! My husband has been enjoying peanut butter and chocolate candy bars, so I thought I would make him Healthy Peanut Butter Brownies. Bananas are great with peanut butter, so I decided to use one of my variations and use mashed bananas instead of butter.

As for the peanut butter topping, I decided to start my search in AllRecipes.com. since I’ve had good luck with their recipes. I found Michelle’s Peanut Butter Marbled Brownies. I used Adam’s Creamy Peanut Butter since it only contains peanuts and no additional oils, partially hydrogenated or not.

I also opted to use My Basic Brownie Recipe. Besides, I have already tried mine with mashed bananas, and I think it’s great.

Here's the recipe...

Mad Gourmet Peanut Butter Marbled Brownies
Based on Michele’s Peanut Butter Marbled Brownies from AllRecipes.com

Ingredients

For the Healthy Banana Brownies:
  • 1/2 cup mashed bananas, preferably over-ripe
  • 2 tablespoon melted butter 
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar  
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Peanut Butter Topping:
·       6 oz (light) cream cheese, softened
·       1/2 cup peanut butter
·       1/4 cup white sugar
·       1 egg

Note: The original recipe required milk, but I (accidentally) left it out of the recipe. The brownies came out well without it. However, if I do use milk, I may try unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk.

Directions:

1.     Follow steps 1 & 2 of the Basic Brownie Recipe. Set aside about 1/3 cup of the batter, before spreading it evenly into the greased pan. Remember, ½ c melted butter is replaced by ½ c of mashed bananas and 2T of melted butter.
2.     In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, 1/4 cup white sugar, and 1 egg, until smooth. Set aside.
3.     Spread the peanut butter filling over the top. Drop the reserved chocolate batter by teaspoonful over the filling. Using a knife, gently swirl through the top layers for a marbled effect.
4.     Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out almost clean. Cool completely, then cut into bars.

Peanut Butter Brownies - on the pan


Verdict:
These peanut butter brownies are delicious. My husband loves these and did not last that long.  An added bonus is that they make the kitchen smell awesome. After all who can resist peanut butter and chocolate.

That said, I do not think these have enough peanut butter. Next time (and there will be one) I may change the cream cheese and peanut butter ratio, maybe 4 oz cream cheese and ¾ cup of peanut butter. I may even use chunky peanut butter and add the almond milk for a nuttier combination.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment