Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Krispy Marshmallow Brownies

Brownie time! I still had most of the ingredients for brownies and have marshmallows, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips left. So I thought - marshmallow brownies. I found the Brownie Mallow Bars recipe in AllRecipes.com and decided to start from that.

Making the Brownie

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. 
Step 2: Mix brownie mix, oil, water, and eggs in a large bowl until smooth; spread into prepared baking dish. 
Step 3(a):  Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 28 to 30 minutes.


Brownie Batter
Batter up!


The original recipe used a brownie mix. Instead of using a mix, I used my Basic Brownie recipe, also adapted from AllRecipes (Original recipe is this one). I’ve used that numerous times, and it has the added bonus that I have most of the ingredients for it already.  I am not a huge fan of using brownie mix because I am not sure what preservatives are used in the mix.

Adding the Marshmallows

Step 3(b): Sprinkle marshmallows over brownie and continue baking until slightly melted, about 3 minutes more. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Since I was not sure if my husband would like the marshmallow brownies, I decided to use half of the batter for mallow bars and the other half for regular brownies.  Also, I do not have enough marshmallows left, so this plan works out.

The marshmallows that I had left were regular-sized marshmallows, not minis. At first, I thought I'd cut it in half, but I figured that once it melts, it will shrink a bit (Boy, I was wrong on that one). The marshmallows puffed up; it reminded me of the marshmallow man in Ghostbusters. 

Poofy and Gooey - not too bad!

I thought about scooping some of the melted marshmallows out, but decided to go with what I have. It actually shrunk after it cooled down and gave the brownies a really gooey feel.

Crispy Component

Step 4: Heat chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a saucepan over low heat; cook and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in rice cereal. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until firm; slice brownies to serve.

I followed the instructions for the rice krispies. Instead of peanut butter, I decided to use up the remaining peanut butter chips in the pantry. As I was preparing this, I thought that there were too much chocolate and peanut butter so I started adding more Rice Krispies. I’ve been making my own version of chocolate rice krispy treats for about a month now so I thought that that is the consistency that I needed, I should have looked at the picture, since the proportion of chocolate/peanut butter mix is more in this recipe. Oh well, I ended up with extra Rice Krispy treats!


Yum! See the marshmallows shrunk.
The Verdict

The finished product was extremely decadent. Love the chocolate brownies, the gooeyness of the marshmallows, and the crunchiness of the rice krispies. I think I should have added a bit more peanut butter since I can hardly taste it and my husband, Mr. Peanut Butter Man, would probably not even detect it. Also, for optimum crunch, enjoy these with 2-3 days; they will not last that long anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment