Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Mad About Mini’s: Mad Gourmet’s Single-serve Peanut Butter Pie


Peanut Butter PieMy husband is mad about peanut butter. It seems that he puts everything in peanut butter. The most indulging one lately was putting peanut butter on a chocolate chip cookie. Really? Like, aren’t you watching your sugar intake?

He found this recipe in the newspaper and enthusiastically said that I should make it (since I am the baker). However, I know he (actually we) should not indulge too much on dessert so I decided to make a single-serve version.

As always, proportions are always challenging in making it single-serve, particularly if the recipe looks like a combination of volume (cups) and weight (ounces). I just decided to treat the 8 ounces of cream cheese to be approximately one cup.

For the peanut butter, I used regular store-bought peanut butter the first time and needed to add sugar. However, since I started buying freshly ground honey-roasted peanut butter from Whole Foods and loved it. I did not even need to add sugar. Otherwise, it is turns out too sweet.

Challenge really was the chocolate cookie crumb pie crust. The recipe called for a ready-made chocolate cookie pie-crust. Aargh, no proportions! I just winged it and used two Oreo cookies. In my first attempts, I tried pre –baking it, putting a bit of butter, but the best one was just crushing it and placing it firmly at the bottom.


Mad Gourmet’s Mini Peanut Butter Pie
Based on Peanut Butter Pie from the Contra Costa Times
Note: I did not find the original source in my clipping. Apologies for not referencing the original baker.

Ingredients

Crust

  • Two Oreo Cookies, crumbled


Filling

  • 4 tsp of cream cheese (I used light cream cheese)
  • 2 tsp of white sugar
  • 5 tsp of peanut butter
  • 2 tsp of almond milk
  • 2 tsp of whipped cream
  • Couple of drops of vanilla extract (optional)


Directions

  1. Crumble the cookies and firmly press the crumb mixture into the ramekin. Set aside.
  2. Put cream cheese, sugar (if using), peanut butter, and almond milk in a small bowl.
  3. Microwave for 30 seconds. Mix well.
  4. Fold in whipped cream and vanilla extract.
  5. Pour on top of crust.
  6. Cool until firm (about an hour) before serving.



Peanut Butter Pie PreparationVerdict

My husband loves this dessert, almost as much as the Mini Key Lime Pie. This is the one dessert that I made “off-theme” this Thanksgiving, because I know he likes it so much.

I have also used mini Oreos for the crust. The advantage of doing that is one can top the pie with a cookie for a better presentation.

I guess you can serve it without the chocolate crust, but the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is just irresistible. You got to do it.

I guess it is much like eating peanut butter with chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment