Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Mad about Minis: Single-serve Honey Cornbread


It is summer – time for picnics and barbeques. I don’t know about you, but a staple for me in either of those occasions is cornbread.

Sadly, more often than not cornbread is the first to go. So, if I have leftover barbeque or want cornbread with my salad, I am out-of-luck.

I found a small batch cornbread recipe in the solitary cook’s blog. However, she said that this was more for two. So, easy right? Just cut it in half.

However, I was committed to making it single-serve so I would not over-indulge. I also wanted to use honey. Lastly and most importantly, since it’s summer, I try not to hot up the big oven (I am also committed to this), so this was made in my toaster oven. But now, I am not too sure about the timing.

Here’s what I have so far. Let me know what you think.


Mad Gourmet’s Single-Serve Honey Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoon of milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 teaspoon of butter (or olive oil)
  • 1 teaspoon of egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 Tablespoon corn kernels (optional)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease or line a ramekin.
  2. In a bowl, cream together butter, sugar, honey, egg whites and salt.
  3. Mix in flour, cornmeal and baking powder; blend thoroughly.
  4. Stir in milk and corn, if using. Pour or spoon batter into the greased ramekin.
  5. Bake in preheated toaster oven for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.


Verdict

I love this recipe. It’s perfect when you have that cornbread craving or it’s late at night.

My husband loves it too. However, he does want another piece.

Maybe he can eat the entire pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment