Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

October Oatmeal and Oatbran Pumpkin Muffins

pumpkin muffins in a pan


I can’t let October to pass by without making something with pumpkin. I am still obsessed with oats and need muffins (even though, I baked that gigantic batch last week). One problem: I have not worked with canned pumpkin before.

I found a great recipe at AllRecipes.com. It had the perfect name: October Oatmeal Pumpkin Muffins. However, since I do have a huge batch of banana muffins, I decided to half the recipe.

Also since I am now also obsessing on oat bran, I decided to substitute some of the oats with oat bran. It just gives a hint of fiber! I also remembered the Chia Seeds this time for that touch of Omega-3.

I know this may look like a lot of ingredients, but I usually have most of these in my pantry. And I listed subs in case you don't have oat bran, whole wheat flour, etc. It will simplify the recipe. Also, especially this time of year, I usually have maple syrup handy - something I got accustomed to while vacationing in Pennsylvania.

October Oats and Oatbran Pumpkin Muffin 
Adapted from October Oatmeal Pumpkin Muffin from AllRecipes.com
Made about 10 muffins in a regular muffin tin

Ingredients: 
  • No-stick cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP whole-wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 TBSP all-purpose flour (or just use whole-wheat flour)
  • 2 TBSP of oat bran (or just add more oats)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Generous pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Pumpkin)
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 TBSP maple syrup (or just use more brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup (or more) of walnuts (optional)
  • 2 TBSP of butter, melted (optional – should just be 1 T (maybe its why its so moist)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of chia seeds (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray muffin cups with cooking spray.
  2. Soak oats in the almond milk.
  3. Whisk oat bran, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
  4. Stir oats mixture (from step 2), pumpkin puree, milk, egg, and maple syrup into the dry ingredients until batter is smooth;
  5. Fold in walnuts and chia seeds in the batter.
  6. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them to the top.
  7. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes; set aside to cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.


Verdict

pumpkin muffin with banana muffin
Pumpkin muffin and friends
This is very good and very pumpkin-y. It’s very moist too, but maybe it’s because I put too much butter. I usually have peanut butter with my muffins, but these are so tasty that one does not really need it. I do know someone who would eat it with PB.

Next time, I think I’ll try it with white chocolate chips. That would be a great decadent twist... or a potluck treat for our Halloween party.

No comments:

Post a Comment