I still had some cooked quinoa left and was not sure what to with it. I could add it with some brown rice as a side dish for this evening’s dinner, but I wanted to try something more exciting.
I ran into a couple of recipes that seem to be good candidates: both are quite similar to each other. One is Quinoa Pizza Bites and the other is a Mini Ham Cheese Quinoa Cups. Although I really wanted to make the pizza bites, I did not have all the herbs or mozzarella cheese. So, I decided to somewhat use components of both recipes. I did not have any ham either, so it had to be vegetarian.
This is a great protein-filled snack: quinoa, eggs, cheese, and veggies – you can’t beat that. Combined with a green salad, the veggie version is a great lunch for Meatless Mondays… or any day for that matter.
You can double the recipe to make more. Also, for a meatier version, add 1/2 cup of diced ham to the mixture.
Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Bites
Adapted from Fit for Success' Quinoa Pizza Bites & IowaGirlEats' Mini Ham and Cheese Quinoa Bites
Makes about 12 mini cups
· 1 cup cooked quinoa (about 1/3 cup uncooked)
· 2 eggs
· 1/2 cup red onions
· 1/2 cup peppers, shredded
· 1/2 cup broccoli, diced
· 1/2 cup shredded jack cheese
· 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
· 1/4 cup green onions
· 1 ½ tsp of Italian Seasoning
· Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
3. Liberally spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray and spoon mixture to the top of each cup.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the cups are golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the mini muffin tin.