Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Happy Star Wars Day! These ARE the cookies that you are looking for.


It’s Star Wars Day this Saturday. Since I missed out on doing something Star Wars-like last year, this year, I promised myself that I will make Star Wars-themed cookies.

I bought a Star Wars Heroes and Villains Cookie Cutter from Williams and Sonoma a couple of years ago and have not had a chance to use it. In fact that is the reason that I started making cookies. However, since the force is not strong with me this week, I did not feel like making cookie dough – creaming the butter and sugar and all that work. I decided to get store brought cookie dough instead. Fresh and Easy has cookie dough that seems to be made of natural ingredients, so I decided to go with that.

Cutter and Cookie Dough
"The Force is strong with this one."

This is truly my first time using cookie cutters, and I am not sure what to expect. Although I made cookies before, I just bundled them into a ball and baked them. I was a bit worried that the cut cookies may not hold, but I was mistaken. My first attempt was such a delight – I got Yoda! I can’t wait to make more.

First cut - Yoda!
"Difficult to see. Always in motion, the future is."

Before I got too excited, I decided to bake a smaller batch first. It’s my first time baking cookie-cutter cookies, and I do not know how long to bake them. Normally, the environmentalist in me would fill my cookie sheet, but I decided to do a small trial batch this time.
  
After about 12 minutes in the oven at a little less than 350 degrees (say 335-340), they are done! Problem is Yoda and Darth Vader seemed to have gained some weight (must be from eating cookies instead of space rations. "How you get so big eating food of this kind?"). Also, they are a bit too browned. The next batch, I tried for 10 minutes, but those were a bit underdone, so I think 12 minutes just hits the sweet spot.

First Batch
"Do or Do not. There is no try." - and I did. Note: Vader has a Dark Side.

At any rate, this was a fun, relatively no-stress experience and minimal cleaning. The Fresh and Easy Sugar Cookie dough is a bit sweet for my taste, so I think next time, I will make my own dough. I usually use the Easy Sugar Cookies from AllRecipes.Com. Perhaps I will be adventurous too and make icing.

Second Batch
"There is another..."

#MayThe4thBeWithYou…. Always!

No comments:

Post a Comment