Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

HELP WANTED: How to bind Butternut Squash-Tofu Patties?


ButterNut Squash Patties
I often have some leftovers from my Slow-cooked Butternut Squash recipe. Leftovers are great: it makes the meal the next day easier; often sometimes much easier. Plus, the cleanup is minimal if you just heat it as is. However, sometimes I do get tired of it and like to transform them for variety.

I have been working on making butternut squash-tofu patties. I figure that this would be great as a sandwich or a starter especially for Meatless Mondays. The sweetness of the squash with the protein from the tofu is a great combination for a sandwich, especially with 21-grain bread. Also, if you are fortunate enough to have some quinoa or kale, adding these would add texture and more protein. Kale would even add some color.

ButterNut Squash Patties Cooking
Promising beginnings, but...
I do think I need some help.  The patties are delicious, but I am having some problems binding them. My first three patties fell apart, but I was able to salvage two of them for the photo op.

I suspect that the pan may not be hot enough. I am also thinking for my next batch I may add some breadcrumbs, maybe 1/4 cup, to make it easier to bind.


Butternut Squash-Tofu Patties
Makes about 5 patties

Ingredients 
  • 1/4 block of tofu (I use extra-firm), mashed roughly with a fork
  • 2/3 cup leftover butternut squash (from Slow-cooked Butternut Squash recipe)
  • 1/3 cup of quinoa, cooked (optional)
  • 1/4 cup of egg whites (or 1 egg)
  • Salt, pepper, and garlic powder (to taste)

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients.
  2. Heat a large skillet, grease the base lightly with oil.
  3. Fry the tofu-squash mixture in small patties (I use my 1/3 cup to measure)
  4. Make a few and keep warm on a hot plate until all the mixture is cooked.

 Let me know what you think. I’d love to hear your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment